- Keep it Dry Prevent water from entering your home through leaks in roof and windows. Check interior plumbing and drainage around your home for any leaking.
- Keep it Clean Control the source of dust and contaminants by creating smooth and cleanable surfaces, reducing clutter, and using effective cleaning methods.
- Keep it Safe Store poisons out of the reach of children. Store firearms unloaded and locked. Secure loose rugs and keep children’s play areas free from hard or sharp surfaces. Install and test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and keep fire extinguishers on hand.
- Keep it Aired-Out Open windows and use fans to ventilate bathrooms and kitchens. Air out the whole house to supply fresh air and reduce the concentration of contaminants in the home.
- Keep it Pest-Free All pests look for food, water, and shelter, so seal cracks and openings in your home and store food in pest-resistant containers. If needed, use sticky-traps and baits, and place them out of the reach of children.
- Keep it Toxic-Free Store pesticides and other chemicals in locked cabinets out of children’s reach. Test your home for radon. Reduce lead-related hazards in pre-1978 homes by fixing deteriorated paint, and keeping floors and window areas clean using a wet cloth.
- Keep it Well-Maintained Inspect, clean, and repair your home routinely. Take care of minor repairs and problems before they become large repairs and problems.
Want more information on creating a healthy home? Click here to download the free brochure.
Wellness begins at home! Check out this article for more great tips!